The S.W.O.P. bicycle box
The S.W.O.P. bicycle box was invented for the safekeeping of bicycles & E-bikes. The boxes protect bicycles from weathering, vandalism and theft. Its outer walls can be used as an advertising or artistic space. Due to a unique and space-saving design, S.W.O.P. boxes integrate perfectly into a cities landscape. Increased sense of security leads to more bike usage and the use of high-quality bikes.
What is the S.W.O.P. box?
The aim of our product is to store bicycles in order to protect them against theft, vandalism, and weathering. The S.W.O.P. box is made out of fiber-reinforced plastic and closes with a roller shutter door. In public areas the boxes are secured with a personalized locking system. When used privately or by a business, boxes can be locked with a keycard or a key. In addition, E-bikes can be charged while stored.
How to operate the S.W.O.P box
After unlocking the S.W.O.P. box, the roller shutter door is pulled open with handles. The combination of the roller shutter door and a mechanical cable control system ensures the easy loading and unloading of the bicycle. Once the roller shutter door is open, a provided adjustable fixation system must be attached to the handlebars or front wheel of the bike. The closing of the roller shutter pulls the bicycle into the intended vertical storage position. A pulley system ensures that the bicycle can be pulled into place with a minimum amount of effort. This guarantees for the easy use of the S.W.O.P. box by all, regardless of strength.
What does the S.W.O.P. box look like?
The boxes are available in different shapes and colors to suit the needs of individual locations. They are offered in three different designs: rectangular, space-saving puzzle and circular with trapezoidal compartments. Due to its interlocking shape, the puzzle form allows for the most efficient use of available space. In comparison to other safekeeping systems, which often claim a lot of space the S.W.O.P. box only requires 3,6m² to fit six bicycles. The dimensions of all three forms of the S.W.O.P. box suit all conventional bicycle types and sizes.
The outer surface of the box is smooth and available in different colors. Its outer walls are ideally suited to advertising or artistic space. Therefore the design of the outer surface could be left to young artists, who have the possibility to design it individually and creatively depending on the location.
What is the S.W.O.P. box made out of?
Due to manufacturing advantages, the box is made out of fiber-reinforced plastic, which makes it tough and durable. This provides for protection against vandalism, while at the same time fitting seamlessly into the cityscape. The closure system is comprised of a robust roller shutter door with an individualized closing mechanism.
What can cities or companies gain from using the S.W.O.P. box?
• Well-positioned bicycle boxes encourage the use of public transportation systems as they insure the safety of commuters’ bikes. As a consequence, motorized traffic volume sinks
• Increase of bicycle traffic
• Well-positioned parking sites broaden the reach of specific bus- or tram stops
• Premium bicycle storage boxes lower the rate of bicycle thefts within cities
• Beautification of the cityscape through a more organized system for bicycle parking
• No additionally incurred expenses for the maintenance of the bicycle boxes
• The S.W.O.P box replaces E-bike charging stations
What can end-consumers gain from using the S.W.O.P. box?
• Parking sites increase protection against weathering, vandalism, and theft
• A feeling of safety allows for the use of high value and comfortable bicycles
• E-bike users can not only protect, but also charge their bicycles at the same time
What else is there to say about the S.W.O.P box?
The locking system, as well as the base attachment can be adapted and adjusted to the respective usage site of the S.W.O.P. box.
Stulanovic Dervis, Weber Sebastian, Ohrhallinger Jürgen, Pereguda Dmitry, Königswenger Florian
Category: Urban Planning and Urban Design