Vice Mayor, City of Munich
Hep Monatzeder was born 1951 in Siegenburg, Lower Bavaria, Germany. He has been a resident of Munich since 1968 and is a certified social educator and a political scientist. Since May 1990 Hep Monatzeder has been a member of the Munich City Council for Bündnis 90 / DIE GRÜNEN (Green Party). He was elected as City Mayor in May 1996 and re-elected in 2002 and 2008.
As Hep Monatzeder is responsible for the local bicycle policies and hosted the Velo-city Conference in 2007, he is known as Munich’s “bicycle mayor”.
He also serves as the Co-Chairman of the “Working Group of Bicycle-Friendly Bavarian Municipalities”. Furthermore Hep Monatzeder is in charge of finance, environmental protection, building construction, intercultural and international affairs, health and hospitals, municipal ”One-World“ work and sustainable development in the Municipality of Munich.
He serves as chairmen of several supervisory boards, for example:
- Municipal Hospitals (Städtisches Klinikum München GmbH)
- German Theater (Deutsches Theater GmbH)
- Munich Popular Theater (Volkstheater)
He is also member of
- the executive board of the national federation of elected local officials of the Green Party and
- the supervisory board of Munichs soccer club TSV 1860 München