Vice-president of the European Commission in charge of Transport
Born: October 2, 1948; Tallinn, Estonia
Married, two children.
In May 2004, Mr Kallas was appointed as the first Estonian member of the European Commission, working in the field of economic and monetary affairs. Mr Kallas was appointed Vice-President of the European Commission in charge of transport in February 2010. From October 2004 until February 2010 he served as Vice-President responsible for administration, audit and anti-fraud.
Mr Siim Kallas has been an active participant in the restoration of Estonian statehood and has served in Estonia as Prime Minister, Minister of Finance, Minister of Foreign Affairs and President of the Central Bank. He has been elected to the Estonian Parliament three times. He also held the position of the Chairman of the Estonian Reform Party since the party’s creation in 1994 until November 2004, after which he became the Honorary Chairman of the party.
Mr Siim Kallas graduated cum laude from the Finance and Credit Department of the University of Tartu in 1972. He continued his studies as a post-graduate student until 1975 and is now a Visiting Professor at the University of Tartu.
Career in detail:
- Since February 2010: Vice-President of the European Commission, responsible for transport
- November 2004 – February 2010: Vice-President of the European Commission, responsible for administration, audit and anti-fraud
- May 2004 – November 2004: Member of European Commission
- 2003-2004: Member of Parliament and the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Parliament
- 2002-2003: Prime Minister of the Republic of Estonia
- 1999-2002: Minister of Finance of the Republic of Estonia
- 1995-1999: Member of Parliament and the Defence Committee of the Parliament
- 1995-1996: Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia
- 1991-1995: President of the Bank of Estonia
- 1989-1991: Chairman of the Estonian Central Association of Trade Unions
- 1986-1989: Deputy Editor of the Estonian daily newspaper “Rahva Hääl”
- 1979-1986: Director of the Estonian Central Board of Savings Banks
- 1975-1979: Finance Ministry of the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic